‘Parents Opposed To Pot’ Lists Reasons Not To Date A Stoner
‘Parents Opposed to Pot’ is an organisation in America and, in case you haven’t guessed it, it’s really against people smoking zoots and claims to be ‘bursting the bubble of marijuana hype’.
It has some really important advice and I think it’s important you all read it, because as you’re probably aware, the scourge of cannabis addiction destroys brain cells and, at its worst, can even lead to users listening to trap, growing dreadlocks and believing Bush did 9/11.
So listen up, if you’re swiping through Tinder and see a girl whose bio contains the most dangerous digits in all of numeracy: 420, make sure you read the ‘Reasons Not To Date A Stoner’ before you think of swiping right.
1. Financially Unstable. The stoner lifestyle may not seem to interfere with your relationship until it begins to put a strain on your finances. When you are dating someone who begins to spend excessive time and money on marijuana, you may be left responsible for picking up the slack.
2. Addiction Takes Priority. Despite the claims of many who say marijuana is not addictive, marijuana dependency exists. According to a study done by Samhsa.gov in 2012, over 1.5 million Americans under the age of 26 were found to be addicted to marijuana. There is no way of knowing whether your friend will become a full blown addict. But if it does become an addiction, it will dictate and often interfere with daily life due to the dependency.
3. Competing with a Drug. A relationship is more likely to collapse when an individual expresses a greater interest towards a substance than towards their partner. See one woman’s story: I Smoked Marijuana for Love
4. Guilt. You may experience feelings of decreased self-esteem and self-worth when you feel obligated to ‘accept’ his or her addiction/lifestyle, despite your own disapproval.
5. Fertility and Parenthood. Smoking marijuana has been linked with decreased sperm counts and chances for fertility, which could complicate a couple’s attempt to have a child. Furthermore, even if fertility is not compromised, do you really want to expose your children to a mind-altering drug? See this fact sheet from Health Canada to learn about the many other risks involved with the use of marijuana, even for medical purposes.
6. Lack of energy. Relationships take work, and being friends with a stoner may not last when your partner’s motivation is decreased by his or her pot habit. Your boyfriend or girlfriend will make less effort and less desire to make you the priority.
7. Activists Like to Cause a Racket. If he or she is an activist… good luck. A majority of marijuana users are also ‘politically active and energised’ according to Ed Gogek, and their ‘allegiance to the drug’ consumes their social calendar and Facebook newsfeed. Even activists will admit to the excessive amount of time and energy they spend at social gatherings and meetings where they aspire to make noise and fight the battle for legalisation.
8. Say Goodbye to the Simple Pleasures. If you are dating a frequent user it is likely that they will rarely be satisfied with the simple pleasures in life unless they are high. This may lead to a major disconnect between the two of you.
9. Fear of the Unknown. Perhaps the scariest part of dating a marijuana user is the fear of what may come next. Just because you begin dating someone who’s habit seems harmless, there is no way of knowing what it could evolve into, whether it be addiction, mental illness, depression, or in some cases the exploitation of other harmful drugs.
10. Dealing with Mood Swings. There are highs and lows involved in any relationship. However, it is important to realise that with a stoner, the literal highs will be high, but the lows may be extremely low. As with any other drug, there are withdrawal symptoms that accompany marijuana such as irritability, anger, aggression, and sometimes depressed mood.
Credit: Parents Opposed to Pot
So guys, what’s it going to be? A life of hell watching Adult Swim and smoking da reefa, or settling down with a good old fashioned girl?